Thomas Connolly's pub was first licensed in 1861. There's a great account of Connolly's in the book The Irish Pub, by James Fennell and Turtle Bunbury. Connolly's storied past includes at least one visit from Charles Stewart Parnell during the pub's early days, plus Thomas Connolly himself becoming Mayor of Sligo in 1890 (the same year he acquired the premises).
The pub was established during a time of plentiful maritime trade; deliveries of rope, linen and tea came into Sligo on ships from all over Europe. There was once a grocer’s shop at one end of the pub – now gone – popular for making sugar, selling tea and bottling whiskey.
Distance from St Angela’s: 7.1 km