- A monument in memory of the late P. A. McHugh (1859-1909), owner of the Sligo Champion, Mayor of Sligo and MP for North Sligo, was erected in a prominent position outside the Post Office in Sligo town in 1916.
- The monument was officially dedicated on Sunday 29 October.John Redmond, the leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party attended and spoke but the statue was actually unveiled by John Jinks, Mayor of Sligo, who had been the prime mover in having it erected.
- The life-size figure of McHugh, in Cararra marble, is the work of sculptor, Joseph Hanrahan, North Strand, Dublin. The lower base is of Newry granite and the upper base is of Ballisodare limestone. Anthony Scott, Dublin, architect, designed the monument. The grotesque carving at the top of the pedestal is the work of Shortall, Dublin, possibly Michael J. Shortall.
- The foundation stone had been laid on St Patrick's Day 1912.
- To the right of Sligo Town Hall stands a statue of Mr P.A. McHugh who was Mayor of Sligo in 1888, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898 and 1900 and also a Member of Parliament for North Leitrim in 1892.
Distance from St Angela’s: 7.3 km