- Sligo Courthouse (co-ordinates 54.26990 -8.47190) was built in 1878 on the site of a former courthouse, part of which has been retained as a link with Sligo's turbulent past.
- This fine building which was officially opened on February 26th 1879, comprises an arcaded main entrance with three front arches leading directly into the hall, a turreted breakfront and an octagonal ventilation tower with its elaborate pointed roof and dormers rises to an impressive 110 foot above street level.
- The architect of Sligo Courthouse was J. Rawson Carroll, a consultant architect from Dublin who had previously designed Classibawn Castle in Mullaghmore, with the construction work being carried out by Patrick Morris of Union Place in Sligo Town.
- The exterior of Sligo Courthouse was built largely of sandstone which had been brought in from the quarries of Mountcharles in County Donegal, and has been described as "a full-blooded Victorian Gothic building" which include a number of exterior features being modelled on those of the Law Courts of London.
- Parts of an eighteenth century gaol still survive within the confines of The Courthouse, with a history which includes that of eight men who, in 1818, were sentenced for robbery with violence at Tireragh and were publicly hanged in the street outside the front of the courthouse.
Distance from St Angela’s: 7.7 km